Fashion.Beauty.Dating.Career

Fashion.Beauty.Dating.Career
Everything else is just life.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

When I was a Little Girl

At what point do we lose sight of the things we wanted? At what point does reality set in and we realize that life is really like a box of chocolates? Responsibility. Walls. Doors slammed in our faces. Trying to make ends meet. Taking care of ourselves and our families.

All of the above are factors in everyday life. When I was a little girl, the world was my oyster. Actually, no. I don't like oysters---When I was a little girl, the world was Barbie's Dream House. Full of endless possibilities, not a care in the world. On any given day I could be a Lifeguard, a Doctor, a School teacher, a Police Officer...or I could just ride around in my convertible with my hubby Ken.

If only we could all live like that bitch.

When I was a little girl, I knew I wanted to make a difference. To be proud of myself and my accomplishments. I wanted to make a difference with my writing. With my words, with my point of view and without sacrifice. I love writing about people and their amazing stories. I also love writing tongue-in-cheek pieces about pop culture, fashion, beauty and lifestyle.

When I was a little girl, I was responsible. My parents made sure of that. I knew I had to clean my room, eat breakfast and vacuum some part of the house before I turned on Saturday morning cartoons or played with my Barbie dolls.

When I was a little girl, I wasn't aware of what the real world would be like. All I knew is what they showed on MTV.

When I was a little girl, I thought I could take on the world. I was SuperGirl. Well, Wonder Woman is more accurate since she's a brunette.

When I was a little girl, I cared about everyone and everything. I never wanted to disappoint. I wanted to help, do the right thing and live happily ever after.


I was watching A League of Their Own yesterday, one of my all time favorite movies. One part stuck with me, when Geena Davis' character was leaving the team because it just got too hard. Everyone, including Tom Hanks, said she would regret never playing again. She was leaving to be home with her husband and have babies.

Times have changed. I don't live in a world anymore where I have to have dinner on the table by 6pm and I sure as hell don't wear pearls when I vacuum. These days, it's taboo for women to live like that. There are so many opportunities out there for us it's refreshing!

So why are the dreams I had yesterday, not the same ones I have today? Does life really get in the way? Is it the luck of the Irish? Or am I not motivated anymore? Has working in the corporate world completely drained me of all of my creativity? Have I lost all ambition to be the writer I've always wanted to be? Will I ever have my own column, perfect grammar and a house by the beach?

When I was a little girl, things seemed so much easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes as we get older, we get so discouraged by the great big picture that we forget to take that first baby step. Don't let the big picture scare you, look at today and tomorrow. Keep your goals in mind, just not front and center.

Good luck!