One of my favorite movies of all time is a classic: Clueless. Besides the obvious fashion and slang phenomenon’s that spawned, it also sent a message to teen girls alike. As if.
If you recall, Cher and Dionne befriend Tye, a recluse from the East coast with buns nothin' like steel. A pure fashion and personality disaster, but she wasn't a Monet. After the girl's "project" Tye becomes a total Betty. Full of confidence, a fashion maven and actually gets the guts to go for the "good guy" or in the movie's case, a Loadie.
I have this friend, Serena, who is gorgeous, smart, funny but lacks confidence. When she walks passed, men’s mouths drop, puddles of drool form and penises perk up. It’s only natural.
I am determined not to let her settle for a Loadie. I want her confidence where it needs to be and that’s through the roof. She has the ability to demand what she wants and should have no qualms about it.
So it has come down to this. Mine and Meg’s "Project” to help Serena see how gorgeous she is and that she deserves better in life. Our collective confidence is a fluke and completely by accident did we get so good at faking it. Granted we are confident women by practice, we get what we want. Well, sometimes.
The three of us went to Vegas in the beginning of June. Meg and I talked our way into the V.I.P section of the clubs, hung out with celebs and drank for free. All because of a little thing called confidence. Serena has the potential - she just hasn’t crafted her practice yet.
If you or someone you know is also lacks confidence, take a look at the tips listed below:
- Walk in like you own the place.
- Don’t wait in line. Ever.
- Buy the first round of drinks for yourself. When you’re holding a drink talking to a guy and you are getting low, if he’s worth it, he will buy you another. If not, it’s a good excuse to escape and find someone more interesting to talk to.
- Make eye contact and SMILE. No one likes a sourpuss.
- Body language. There are classy ways to let guys in without seeming slutty or desperate.
- If it comes down to the exchanging of digits, take his. This keeps YOU in control.
- Never set plans on the first meeting, always keep them wanting more.
- Seem mysterious. Men love women they can’t figure out.
- Add a touch of bitchiness to your voice, it keeps men in line, where they should be.
- HAVE FUN! Don’t take life too seriously. You’ll never get out alive.
Meg has written a fabulous post on how to "Fake it ‘til You Make it." You can read it here.